Animal management

Cat-the-kidCouncil encourages everyone to be responsible pet owners.

This involves registering, microchipping and vaccinating your dog or cat, de-sexing your cat, having good control of your pet in public, and obeying dog on-leash and off-leash areas.

In 2009, Council adopted a new pdf format Domestic Animal Management Plan (1.78MB). The plan resulted in Council introducing compulsory de-sexing of cats, and new on and off-lead guidelines for dogs in public areas.

Animal registrations

Animal registrations should be renewed before 10 April every year. Here is more information on animal registration.

Concerns about Restricted Breed or Dangerous Dogs

Council encourages people to report any concerns they have that a local dog is of a restricted breed, whether by contacting a new State Government hotline or by calling us directly. 

People can make a report by calling the new hotline on 1300 101 080, between 8am-6pm daily. The information received will be forwarded on to the relevant Council which will investigate the report. The hotline should not be used in an emergency. If people are in immediate danger they should phone 000.

If you would like to report any concerns about local dogs to Council directly, please contact us on 9205 5063 or 9205 5555 (after hours).

Here is more information on Restricted Breed and Dangerous Dogs.

Here is more information on:

Neighbours, the law and you

Produced by the Victoria Law Foundation, this free guide covers how to deal with everyday problems with neighbours, from barking dogs and noise to fences and trees. It answers legal questions about noise control, building a fence and pollution in your neighbourhood. It also directs you to legal help and legal advice. Produced by Victoria Law Foundation.

Further information
Compliance Branch
9205 5166

Back to top
Back to top Back to top