houses-4A building permit will be required for most development proposals including extensions to dwellings, new dwellings, sheds and in some cases fences and retaining walls.

Building permits can be obtained from a private building surveyor or Council's Municipal Building Surveyor.

Before construction or activity can start, a proposed development may require a planning permitbuilding permit or both.

Call Council's Building Services on 9205 5095 or email at for more information.

Further Building Contacts

Renovating and Building Advice
Master Builders Association of Victoria
9411 4555

Owner and Builder Inquiries
Building Commission
9285 6400

Complaints and Legal Advice
Consumer and Business Affairs Victoria
9627 6000

Dial A Law
9607 9577

First Home Owners' Grant
State Revenue Office  
9628 6490 

Building Guidelines
Victoria Online

Further Information
Yarra Building Services
9205 5095

Back to top
Back to top Back to top