Restrictions & fines
Council has the discretion to issue infringements or prosecute matters under its local laws or relevant State legislation.
- Fines may be issued for various breaches including but not limited to:
- Failure to register your dog or cat. All dogs and cats over three months of age are required to be registered with their local Council. The registration form is available here.
- Registered animal in public without Council registration tag
- Failure to pick up after your dog
- Failure to carry pick up bags to pick up after your dog
- Dogs at large – an animal not securely confined on your property
- Dogs in public places not complying with Council Order (e.g. dog off-leash in an on-leash area, failure to carry a leash, dog in playground). The Council Order is available here.
- Animals creating a nuisance or trespassing onto private property (e.g. a barking dog)
- Keeping prohibited or excess animals on your property (number of animals permitted).
Back to top