Animal registration

BeagleEvery dog or cat over the age of three months must be registered with Council.

Registering your pet makes it easier for your animal to be returned to you if it ever gets lost.

Registration is due before 10 April every year.

Here is some more information on:

Fee amounts for 2017/2018


Standard Maximum Fee (NOT desexed) $188
Standard Reduced Fee (microchipped & desexed) $60
Concessional Maximum Fee (not desexed) $94
Concessional Reduced Fee (microchipped & desexed) $17


Standard Reduced Fee $35.00
Concessional Reduced Fee $12.50

*Pet registration fees are Pro rata (50%) from 10 October.
All fees are GST free.

Renewing your registration/s

Owners of dogs and/or cats already registered with Council should have received a renewal notice in the mail in March. Once you have your renewal notice, you can pay:

  • online
  • by calling the Yarra e-pay service on 1300 792 772 (payment via Mastercard, Visa or American Express)
  • by sending a cheque or money order payable to Yarra City Council to P.O. Box 168, Richmond 3121
  • In person by visiting Council’s offices during the hours of 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday at the Richmond or Collingwood Town Halls or the Connie Benn Centre

Registering your pet/s for the first time with Yarra Council

Owners of dogs/cats who have not previously been registered with Yarra Council, need to submit this pdf format Application for animal 2017/2018 (195.02 KB)

If you are unable to download and print this form, please request a form by contacting Council on 9205 5555.

Some conditions do apply:

  • Any cats or dogs being registered for the first time with Yarra Council must be microchipped. This includes cats and dogs that have moved into Yarra from another municipality.
  • If your pet is desexed, microchipped, registered with an an approved organisation or is over 10 years old, a certificate is required or the Statutory Declaration on the above form needs to be completed.
  • Council will not register or renew the registration of a cat unless it is de-sexed. Exceptions will only be made for cats used for breeding purpose or due to veterinary advice. Here is more information on mandatory cat desexing.
  • To be eligible for a discount you must be the holder of a current Pension Concession Card (Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs) or Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card specifying TPI or War Widow. Discounts do not apply for Health Care Card holders.

If you are paying a registration fee in Yarra for the first time, you can pay:

  • by sending a cheque or money order payable to Yarra City Council to P.O. Box 168, Richmond 3121
  • in person to the Cashier Office at Collingwood Town Hall (140 Hoddle Street Abbotsford) or at Richmond Town Hall (333 Bridge Road, Richmond) or at the Connie Benn Centre (160 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy). 

Registration tags

Council issues lifetime registration tags. While registration must be renewed each year, the tags do not need to be replaced unless lost or stolen.

Registration tags or replacement registration tags are issued on the spot if you make the payment in person at one of our council offices.

If the payment has been by mail or online (for renewals only), Council will send you the registration tag or replacement registration tag in the post.

Your pet must wear its registration tag at all times when it is off your property. 

Further Information
City of Yarra
9205 5555

Back to top
Back to top Back to top