Birds swoop to protect their nest, eggs and young.
Swooping mainly occurs in spring. Some tips on how to deal with swooping birds:
- Try and avoid the area if possible
- Move quickly through the area but do not run or cycle
- Make sure you wear a hat or a helmet
- Carry an umbrella or stick
- Try and travel in a group
- Try wearing sun-glasses on the back of your head or drawing a pair of eyes on the back of your helmet.
For more information or to report swooping birds go to the Department of Environment and Primary Industries website or contact the department on 136 186.
Back to top