Council offers two free hard waste collections per year to each Yarra household.
Where possible, residents' hard waste is recycled and recovered for re-use. Council expects 540 tonnes of waste that would otherwise be sent to landfill will be recycled/reused each year through our hard waste collection service.
As part of our Customer Service Guarantee, Council is committed to providing a hard waste collection within 10 working days of it being requested.
- Phone Council on 9205 5190 to make a booking.
- Council officers will provide you with a pick-up date, and ask about the content and volume of what needs to be picked up.
- Council officers will also advise on the best location to place your hard rubbish items.
- The night before the pick-up date, neatly and safely place your items in the agreed location.
Each collection can be up to a standard trailer load (or one cubic metre). Items must be no longer than 1.5 metres and must be able to be easily lifted by one or two people.
Items that can be included in a hard waste collection:
- Mattresses (maximum of 2)
- TVs, VCRs, stereos etc
- Whitegoods such as washing machines, dryers, fridges, ovens (remove doors)
- Small furniture items and couches
- Hot water services
- Small car parts and tools
- Standard car tyres (limit of four)
- Empty paint tins with lids removed
- Textiles including manchester and all wearable clothing
- All wearable footwear
- Leather items including handbags, purses and belts
- Hard toys, soft toys and games
- Cookware including pots, pans, cutlery
- Plastic bags (put all types of plastic bag into one bag)
- Plastic household items including buckets and washing baskets
- All types of printer cartridges (place in a separate plastic bag)
- Mobile phone handsets, batteries and accessories
Items that cannot be included in a hard waste collection:
- No building material such as timber renovation items
- No green waste, garden waste, dirt or stones
- No gas bottles
- No hazardous material like chemicals or paint
- No industrial or commercial waste
- No household garbage or recycling
- No items that weigh more than 50kg
- No 4WD or truck tyres
- No large car parts
Back to top