Objecting to a valuation

Row of renovated terrancesUnder the Valuation of Land Act, you can object to the valuation of your property.

To initiate Council's objection process, please contact Council on 9205 5271 to discuss your concerns. If your issue cannot be resolved, Council will provide you with the prescribed objection form.

How do I object?

Objections must be lodged using the prescribed objection form. If you are objecting to a valuation you must provide details as to the valuation to which the objection is made and state the grounds on which the objection is based.

When can you lodge an objection?

Objections must be lodged within two months of the date of issue of the Valuation and Rate Notice.

Objections are only applicable for the year they are lodged. Council cannot review valuations retrospectively, nor is there any provision for Council to receive objections lodged beyond the two-month timeframe.

Do I still need to pay my rates by the due date?

If you object to a valuation you must still pay rates by the due date. Failure to pay rates by the required date generally results in interest being imposed.

What happens next?

 Upon receiving an Objection, the Council Valuer will contact you to discuss the objection and organise a suitable time to inspect your property. Further consideration will be given to factors including the relevant sales of surrounding properties, property data, property condition etc. The Valuer will then review the revaluation. The valuation can be altered up or down by any amount, or the assessment can be left at its original level.

When must the determination be finalised?

The ratepayer’s valuation outcome will be advised in writing within four months of the Council receiving the objection.

Council will advise you in writing of any adjustment. A copy of the adjustment must then be provided to the Valuer-General, who will either confirm or disallow the recommended adjustment. The Valuer-General has two months to advise all parties of the decision.

What if I am still unhappy with the result?

An objector who is dissatisfied with the decision of a Valuer or the Valuer-General may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for review of the result.

Both Council and the ratepayer will present their cases, providing evidence and supporting documents such as detailed property descriptions, relevant property sales information, valuation rationales etc. The tribunal will then provide an opportunity for each party to question the other in relation to the objection, valuation and supplied evidence. The tribunal will then make a final decision based on the evidence presented.

Further information
Council's Valuations Unit
9205 5271

Back to top
Back to top Back to top