Positive Ageing Strategy
River of Life Positive Ageing Strategy, Stage Two Action Plan 2014 – 2017
In 2006 Council adopted the River of Life Positive Ageing Strategy and Action Plan 2007 – 2011.
As the initial Action Plan was for five years, Council, on the 19 August 2014, endorsed the River of Life Positive Ageing Strategy, Stage Two Action Plan 2014 – 2017. The Action Plan was informed by an extensive community consultation undertaken during 2013, involving up to 300 Yarra residents.
Key actions included in the Second Stage Action Plan 2014 – 2017 include:
- Initiation of a community ambassadors program to improve communication between residents 50+ years;
- Review of practices to ensure services are inclusive for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) residents;
- Improved focus on physical and sport activity programs for residents 50+ years;
- Ensuring new and existing community venues consider and are designed to achieve an age-friendly environment;
- Advocacy around access to health services for older people, especially from CALD backgrounds;
- Advocacy around potential changes and implications of Disability Care and HACC service reforms; and
- Increasing the representation and role of the Active Ageing Advisory Group in advocating for older residents' rights.
The Action Plan 2014 – 2017 has the potential to influence a range of organisations and Branches both across Council and in the community, leading to a culture that creates an age-friendly city, where older residents are at the forefront of our thinking, planning and design, policies and programs.
Implementation of the Action Plan will be oversighted by Council’s Active Ageing Advisory Group (AAAG) annually.
The Action Plan can be viewed here:
Positive Ageing Strategy Action Plan Stage Two 2014-2017 (49.54 KB)
Council released a Discussion Paper to help inform the draft Action Plan in 2013.
The Discussion Paper looks at the demographic changes expected in Australia and the City of Yarra between 2011 – 2021. It presents major international trends evident in securing the health and wellbeing of older residents, followed by the role of local government in contributing to the ability of its residents to age well. A copy of rhe Discussion Paper can be viewed below:
Positive Ageing Strategy Four Year Action Plan Discussion Paper 2013-16 (323.46 KB)
Positive Ageing Strategy
The Positive Ageing Strategy The River of Life, was developed in 2006 to support a healthy, positive and independent ageing experience for older people in the City of Yarra.
A copy of the Strategy appears below. Please note, the document has been split into three parts because of its large file size.
River of Life - Positive Ageing Strategy Part One.pdf (1.66 MB)
River of Life - Positive Ageing Strategy Part Two.pdf (2.33 MB)
River of Life - Positive Ageing Strategy Part Three.pdf (1.72 MB)
Back to top
Community Development Coordinator
National Relay Service
TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 03 9205 5555.
Speak & Listen users (speech-to-speech relay) phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 03 9205 5555.
Internet relay users connect to the National Relay Service via www.relayservice.com.au and then ask for 03 9205 5555.