Playgroups provide a wonderful opportunity for babies, young children and their mums, dads, grandparents or caregivers to gather together and play and talk.
All families with babies and children aged up to six years old are welcome at playgroup. Playgroups are part of the continuum of services promoting early childhood development and parenting support.
Participation in playgroups encourages children to:
- have a strong sense of identity
- connect with and contribute to their world
- have a strong sense of wellbeing
- become confident and involved learners
- be effective communicators.
Playgroups offer babies and children:
- a safe and stimulating environment where they learn through play
- a place to develop social skills
- a place to meet other babies and children
- a place where they can get to know other adults and gain confidence in new situations
- opportunities to engage in physical play in a safe space.
Playgroups offer adults:
- the opportunity to make new friends and share ideas and information
- time to talk about the joys and challenges of parenting
- access to information, resources and support
- a chance to be part of the local community
- time to focus on playing with children outside the home.
Playgroups are located at a variety of venues throughout Yarra, including parklands, on different days at different times. All playgroups are different and the structure is entirely up to the members of each group with the emphasis being on fun and friendship.
Here is a list of Playgroups in Yarra 2017 (37.19 KB)
Council can provide assistance with:
- locating and joining a playgroup in Yarra
- starting a new playgroup
- finding a venue for a playgroup
- contacting other support agencies
- answering general queries about playgroups.
Families with babies can form a playgroup as soon as the First-Time Parent Group at the Maternal and Child Health Centre has finished.
For agencies involved in playgroups in Yarra, Council coordinates the Yarra Service Provider Playgroup Network, which meets on a quarterly basis at different venues in Yarra.
For more information about playgroups in Yarra, please contact Jacinta Harper, Playgroups Development Officer on 9205 5493 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Playgroup Victoria provides a range of information and support for playgroups, including play ideas, guidelines on how to run a playgroup, fundraising opportunities, training and insurance for families.
To find out more, please visit the Playgroup Victoria website or contact Playgroup Victoria on 1800 171 882 (9am to 3pm weekdays).
Back to top
Playgroups Development Officer
Family, Youth and Children's Services