Financial Counselling

couple walking with pram in park

A free and confidential financial counselling service is available in the City of Yarra.  

The Federal Department of Social Services funds this service across the North East Region of Melbourne, including all suburbs in Yarra.

The service is provided by the:

  • Berry Street Service at 1 Salisbury Street, Richmond on Wednesdays and
  • Kildonan Uniting Care Service at 1 Gold Street, Collingwood on Fridays.

What is financial counselling?

The service provides information and support for anyone experiencing financial difficulties.

What should I expect?

The information you receive is from a qualified financial counsellor who adheres to industry standards.

You can expect to receive respect, trust and compassion. You will not be judged.

To assist you, the counsellor will need to ask some questions to better understand your situation.

What do I need to have ready?

Please have your financial information ready when you call to help the service assist you faster. This may include:

  • Outstanding bills
  • Demand letters
  • Court orders
  • Payslips/Centrelink income statements
  • Contracts
  • Rent/mortgage amounts
  • Bank statements
  • Credit card statements

To access either service, call 1800 685 682 to book a phone or face to face appointment.

Other financial counselling services

The following services can also provide advice and assistance with managing debt, paying bills, meeting mortgage or rent repayments and planning a budget.  

1800 007 007

MoneyHelp is a not-for-profit service supported by the Victorian and Australian governments. It provides free, confidential and independent financial counselling advice to people who are experiencing financial difficulty.

Financial Counselling Australia

Financial Counselling Australia is the peak body for financial counsellors in Australia. This body connects people with a financial counsellor near them.

Consumer Action Legal Centre
9629 6300 or 1800 466 477
Consumer Action Law Centre is a consumer advocacy and campaigning organisation that provides free and independent legal assistance and financial counselling.

Further information:

For further advice and information about concessions and financial assistance, contact: 
The Department of Human Services:
1300 650 172 (local call fee within Victoria, except mobile phones)

Back to top
Back to top Back to top