Sports and leisure
Access All Abilities (AAA) is a Victorian Government initiative coordinated by Sports and Recreation Victoria. The program offers inclusive sports and recreation opportunities for people aged 7 to 19 years who have a disability. As part of the initiative, Council works with local clubs and associations to develop suitable activities for children of all abilities.
Access All Abilities is committed to the following principles
- Promote awareness of the benefits of active participation.
- Provide support for inclusive sport and recreation environments.
- Influence the planning and development of accessible and inclusive sport and recreation environments.
- Foster and develop partnerships to enhance access and inclusion in the sport and recreation sector.
For further information about Yarra’s Access All Abilities program, visit the AAA Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Soccer with Richmond Junior Eagles
- Basketball with Collingwood All Stars
- Crossing the Tightrope Together - Circus skills for kids with disabilities
- Tennis at Mayors Park Tennis Centre
- Recreational Footy with Fitzroy Junior Football Club
- Cricket with Edinburgh Cricket Club
For more information on any of these programs, click here or please contact Peter Mitten, Access for All Abilities and Program Development Officer on 9205 5756.
- Riding for the disabled
Out There in Darebin and Yarra
This newsletter provides news and information about sport and recreational activities that may be of interest to people with a disability who live in the municipalities of Darebin and Yarra.
Here's the latest edition - Summer 2011-12.
Out There in Darebin and Yarra - Summer 2011-12 (1.30 MB)
Grants and Assistance
Council provides grants throughout the year to assist both sportspeople with a disability and clubs who are wanting to become more inclusive.
Sports assistance funding is available upto $500 for City of Yarra residents with a disability to help offset the costs of travelling and competing at state, national or international level.
Local Sports Club and Associations
Access All Abilities works with local sporting clubs, leisure facilities, State Sporting Associations and individuals wishing to become more inclusive and accessible to the whole community.
As a provider of sports and recreation in the municipality, the Council is able to provide the following services and support:
- Access to information, resources and training on how to include people with disabilities.
- Advice and support in planning and implementing inclusive initiatives.
- Support to develop these initiatives into ongoing sustainable programs.
- Assistance in promoting inclusive initiatives to an extensive network of services and individuals.
- Assistance and support in applying for grants and funding opportunities.
- Assistance and support for running clinics and Come & Try activities.
For Clubs and Associations
Both community grants and team support grants are available.
Yarra Leisure facilities are great places to improve your health and fitness. As well as providing swimming and gym programs, Yarra Leisure also run group programs including:
- Living Longer Living Stronger
- Community Membership Program
- Women Making Waves
A dedicated Community Development Officer is also available to help link you into the right program or activity, give you a tour of the centres and help people fully benefit from the great facilities on offer at Yarra Leisure.
Access All Abilities Officer
National Relay Service
Back to top
TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 03 9205 5555.
Speak & Listen users (speech-to-speech relay) phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 03 9205 5555.
Internet relay users connect to the National Relay Service via www.relayservice.com.au and then ask for 03 9205 5555.