Yarra celebrates sustainability
5 June 2015
The Yarra community has gathered at the Richmond Town Hall for the sixth annual Yarra Sustainability Awards.
Hosted by local comedy legend Dave O’Neil on Thursday 4 June (the eve of World Environment Day), the awards ceremony highlighted the work of individuals and organisations sharing Council’s vision for a sustainable city.
This year the awards recognised a truly diverse array of projects, including a bold and inventive initiative run by Out Doors Inc. Participants from a range of cultural backgrounds came together to revitalise a community garden and clean up sections of the Yarra river by raft and foot. “It's great that so many people were prepared to roll up their sleeves and work together for the benefit of the Yarra community,” said Yarra Mayor Cr Phillip Vlahogiannis.
Another popular winner was Beth Cameron in the Local Hero category. Beth has coordinated the activities of the sustainability-focused Friends of the Earth food co-op for the past 25 years. “Beth is one of Yarra’s not-for-profit sector pioneers,” Cr Vlahogiannis said, “and it’s our very great pleasure to recognise her contribution to Yarra.”
“All award recipients and nominees should be very proud of their work. Their efforts can inspire action by others in our community,” he said.
Members of the community also had a say in the awards, with hundreds of votes being registered for the People’s Choice Award. This year’s winner, 3000acres, was recognised for helping community members transform unused spaces into sustainable food gardens.
Yarra Sustainability Awards 2015
Back to top
- Sustainable Business Award - Winner - Blick Creative
- Educational Services Award - Winner - Bridge Road Early Learning Centre
- Educational Services Award - Highly Commended - Collingwood Alternative School
- Community Action Award - Winner - Out Doors Inc
- Community Action Award - Highly Commended – 3000acres
- Building Design and Development Award - Winner - Cardno
- Local Hero Award - Winner - Beth Cameron
- Frank Fisher Award - Glenda Lindsay
- People’s Choice Award - 3000acres