What’s in a name?
28 January 2015
Council is asking the Yarra community to help name public places in Abbotsford, Collingwood, Fitzroy, North Fitzroy and Richmond.
Suggestions are sought for six public assets:
- a local park in Flockhart Street, Abbotsford (Melways Map 2D E12)
- a local park in Cambridge Street, Collingwood (Melways Map 2C E11)
- a local park in King William Street, Fitzroy (Melways Map 2C A9)
- a local park in Egan Place, Richmond (Melways Map 2G J4)
- a local park in Lennox & Butler streets, Richmond (Melways Map 2G K2)
- an irregular-shaped right of way bounded by properties in McKean Street, Michael Street and Queens Parade, North Fitzroy.
More information regarding the naming process, as well as photographs or maps of the six sites, can be viewed on Council’s place naming page.
In line with its Naming of Roads, Features and Localities Policy (under which Council gives priority to Woiwurrung names) Council will consult the Wurundjeri community, local historical societies and the wider Yarra community.
Council will then consider this feedback before making a decision in accordance with the Geographic Place Names Act 1998 and the Guidelines for Geographic Names 2010 Version 2.
The deadline for submissions is Friday 13 March 2015 and it is anticipated that Council will determine the names of the six assets in April 2015.
Should you have any questions about the place naming process, please contact:
Back to top
Senior Governance Advisor