Road/Footpath Opening

If you need to carry out works in the road, including working on or connecting new services such as water, underground power supply or stormwater, you will need a permit from Council. This applies to access to any Council managed land.

Before applying

You may need other approvals before even applying for the Road / Footpath Opening consent, depending on the purpose of the road opening.

If your permit application concerns:

  • Storm water drainage:
    Council and the relevant building surveyor must determine and approve storm water drainage for building and development sites. 
    Apply for the legal point of discharge from Council prior to obtaining the permit. 

  • Electrical supply (underground), water or sewage mains or any other underground services:
    Submit detailed construction or civil plans to Council's governance engineer within the Engineering Services Unit.
    Council’s governance engineer will respond in writing and supply a ‘consent’ or ‘works approval’ letter (pursuant to section 63 of the Road Management Act) which will be subject to terms and conditions.

  • For all other underground service connection:
    If your permit application concerns the repair of a service, e.g. a burst fire or water service, or a connection to an existing service, simply complete the application form noting the type of works in the description.

  • Dial Before You Dig:
    To locate the presence of existing services, contact DBYD

Application form

pdf format App 02_Road Opening Consent v1.0 (180.45 KB)

How to apply

Complete the attached application form and compile the documents listed on the checklist.

  • The complete application package must be supplied
  • Valid certificate for your contractor’s public liability insurance. Note that the insurance schedule and the tax invoice are not acceptable
  • Ensure that you follow the checklist and include copies of any report and consents, engineer services approval letters, relevant licences/permits i.e. "Power or Tram line "No-Go-Zones" details of how the works will be undertaken, estimated duration, works times, site contact details etc. 
  • Site plans need to be drawn to appropriate standards, so may require professional expertise. See detail on the application form checklist. The plan should show the locations of all plant and equipment required on Council assets i.e. footpath, nature-strip and or roadway. 
  • Traffic management plan prepared by a qualified person, as required by the Road Management Act 2004 and Road Safety Act 1986. 
    (A list of recommended suppliers is attached, or look up traffic management in the Yellow Pages).
    The plan must include the details of how you propose to place, erect, dismantle and/or undertake the proposed works. 
    All works are to be clearly delineated and signed in accordance with the relevant Acts, Regulations, Australian Standards, and Codes of Practice.

For more information on traffic management, see: 

pdf format Traffic Management Companies 2016 (105.94 KB)

Courtesy Letter

If your works require a full road closure, you must provide a courtesy letter to everyone affected by the works.
This must be done a full week before the works start.
Attach a copy of your proposed letter.

docx format Courtesy Letter for Road Closure (18.06kB)

What happens after the work is done?

Applicants are responsible for backfilling all openings made to roads and footpaths.

pdf format Back filling requirements (17.49 KB)


All permit applications are to be emailed to  For road occupation permits and non-utility road/footpath opening consents there is a 5 business day turnaround for, all other permits can take up to 10 business days to be assessed (except skip bins which is 1 business day).  Emails forwarded directly to personal email addresses may not be processed in these time frames.

If you require the permit urgently please visit the Richmond Town Hall between 8.30am and 4.00pm weekdays with all the required paperwork for the permit to be assessed.  All permit applications accepted over the counter after 4:00pm will be assessed the following business day.


Contact Council on 9205 5555 for more information on costs as the fee charged depends on the area excavated and depth of the pavement.

  • Permit: From $83.60
  • Inspection: $140.40 (per inspection Mon – Fri 7am – 6pm), $426.40 for weekend inspections
  • Reinstatement fees: Depend on the type and size of surface, with a minimum charge of $275. Additional fees will be charged where details of all opening are not provided and or different on site from what advised in your application. 

* Please note that 2-3 inspections will be conducted.


In person: Monday - Friday, 8.30am - 4.30pm
Richmond Town Hall
333 Bridge Road

By fax:
8417 6666

By email:   

Back to top
Back to top Back to top