Construction Infringements

If a Council authorised officer reasonably believes that a person has committed an offence against the General Local Law of 2016, Road Management Act 2004, Environmental Protection Act 1970 or any other law in which the officer is authorised to investigate, the officer may issue and serve on a person an infringement notice as an alternative to a prosecution for certain offences.

Payment options

You can pay for an infringement notice by:

  • Payments Online
  • Telephone 1300 792 772
  • Mail - please make the cheque payable to Yarra City Council, PO Box 168, Richmond, 3121
  • In person at Council Offices: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

Failure to pay an infringement notice or to contact Council prior to the due date may result in further action being taken. This may include additional costs, enforcement or legal action or referral to a collection agency.

What are the grounds I can appeal an infringement notice?

The Victorian Infringements Act 2006 provides four specific grounds for review. They are:

Special Circumstances

Special circumstances apply where the offender is homeless, has a mental or intellectual disability, is addicted to drugs or alcohol, or suffers from a condition which results in the person being unable to understand the offending conduct, or unable to control the conduct. If you select this ground of review, you must include official letters of support or other documentation from treatment providers such as medical practitioners, social workers or drug and alcohol counsellors.

Contrary to Law

Contrary to Law applies when you believe no offence took place. You will need to provide details about why you believe the decision to issue the infringement notice is unlawful.

Exceptional Circumstances

Exceptional circumstances include unforeseeable or unpreventable circumstances where the offender was not able to prevent the offence from occurring. This would include a genuine emergency. Exceptional circumstances do not include being held up at the doctors or running late for a meeting. Council has authority to decide whether your situation counts as exceptional or not. You must prove the situation was serious and beyond your control. and have good supporting evidence (e.g. doctors or ambulance report, mechanics report) Please attach before submitting your review.

Application for review of an infringement

If you believe you have legal grounds for Council to review your fine, please complete the online application form below.

This application form should only be used for construction and compliance infringements. If you have received a parking infringement please review information about appealing a parking form.

All applications for review must be made in writing and must be received by Yarra City Council before the due date on the infringement notice. Applications for an internal review cannot be made verbally. Additional information must be also be in writing.

Request a review of a construction or compliance fine



Further Information
City of Yarra 
9205 5555

Back to top
Back to top Back to top